Glasgow University Bell Tower
In 2015 Conservation Masonry Ltd were commissioned directly by the University of Glasgow to carry out extensive repairs on the A-listed Bell Tower within the Gilmorehill Campus at Glasgow University. Built in 1887 the 278ft tower completed the Main Building of Glasgow University that was constructed after the institution moved from its original site on the city’s High Street in 1870. The Bell Tower still remains the UK’s second largest gothic revival building after the Houses of Parliament.
The extensive repairs totalling £1.7 million were inclusive of a complete structural overhaul of the existing sandstone including spire, the existing internal bells and cradle, spiral stair within the spire, internal chamber repairs, complete overhaul of existing weather veins and all internal woodwork.
Conservation Masonry Ltd executed the works upon this Bell Tower with pride, care and a duty to maintain all existing attributes to a structure that has dominated the skyline of Scotland’s biggest city since 1887.